Monday, March 26, 2012


My Favorite painting is this one, Autumn Rhythm (Number 30) (1950) by Jackson Pollock. I love this painting because I absolutely love the way the colors, and all the lines and splatters of paint blend together. I honestly think it all works so well together, and it all just fits perfectly. I love the way the black lines compliment the white lines. This painting has been my favorite since the first time I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art when I was younger; it still remains my favorite. The painting is 207 inches wide! According to the Met website, it says "It assumes the scale of an environment, enveloping both for the artist as he created it and for viewers who confront it." I feel like this painting could be representing many emotions, and Pollock created it that way on purpose. He wanted viewers to be able to take it amongst themselves to decide the meaning behind his artwork. I feel like since there aren't any bright colors, it could be representing sadness, or confusion, or frustration. All the lines aren't going in any specific direction, they're just all over the place, and I like that about the painting as well. It's a beautiful piece of art!





When I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I saw this painting and absolutely LOVED it! Though to some, it may seem like there isn't really much to it, these abstract pieces of art are my favorite type of art. This painting is Veluti in Speculum (1962) by Hans Hoffman. I love all the color choices used in this painting; they all compliment each other very well. I love the pink on top of the blue, the red on top of the yellow, the green on top of the yellow, and the brown piece on the bottom right. I just feel like this painting symbolizes brightness, which could lead to happiness. It could be saying that even though sometimes, things may feel like they're all on top of each other, there's always a way out. You can always figure out a tough situation, if you remain positive about it. I just love this painting so much!







Another Painting I saw at the Metropolitan Museum that I absolutely LOVED was this was called White Flag (1955), and it was done by Jasper Johns.  I was very fascinated and taken aback by this painting. When you think of the American Flag, you think of red, white and blue. Seeing the flag completely white, with a little bit of black, it's almost intimidating. Almost as if the flag has been stripped down, right before our very eyes. It was like the flag was naked or something! All of these qualities, though, is what makes it so intriguing. The fact that the flag was made in such a way shows a whole new perspective on something we have generally seen our whole lives. The reasoning for this painting could be to show a new twist on an old "classic"; something that we've seen so many times before in our lives, being shown in a way that's different from the norm.






The last painting I am focusing on is called Outburst (1956) by Judit Reigl. I really love this painting because the name of it fits perfectly with the artwork itself. You look at this painting, and you automatically think of an outburst or an explosion. It literally just LOOKS like an explosion. I think this painting could represent many emotions, sadness, anger, confusion, depressed, etc. Sadness, because the colors used are very sad colors. Shades of black, blue & gray. Confusion because the paintings are all over the place; they're in no shape, form, or type of order, or in no way, are they organized. Reigl could've taken anger out by painting this, because of the way it's splattered everywhere. I just really enjoy this painting, and when I saw it in person, I knew there was somethign extraordinary about it. I love abstract art; it truly is my favorite!



No comments:

Post a Comment