Wednesday, March 28, 2012


I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan, and absolutely LOVE all of the movies. My favorite one though, is the 3rd one, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I've seen this (and all the other movies) many times, but the movies are so complex, and so well made, there's absolutely always a chance to see something new that I've never seen before! It was a bit difficult, because I do know the movie very well, but I managed to notice something that I've never noticed before. One of my favorite things about this movie is the time turner scene; where Harry and Hermione go back in time in order to save Sirius Black and Buckbeak the Hippogriff. When they first go back in time, they return to all the places they were earlier in the day/night. Harry and Hermione see themselves in real time, inside Hagrid's Hut, and Harry is basically so taken aback by this; he can't even believe what's going on. Hermione tells him that "awful things happen to wizards who meddle with time" and that they "can't be seen." The real time Harry, Hermione, and Ron are inside Hagrid's Hut, but the back in time Harry and Hermione are hiding behind pumpkins outside Hagrid's Hut. One thing I noticed is the original scene (from inside Hagrid's Hut) is delayed because of the new back in time scene where Hermione is explaining to Harry what's going on. The back in time Hermione realizes she needs to throw a rock inside Hagrid's Hut in order to get them to come outside. Back in time Harry frees Buckbeak, quickly and carefully, Hermione throws the rock, and then they see themselves in real time exiting Hagrid's Hut. The back in time Harry and Hermione run into the forest, so they won't be seen, and the real time characters are hiding behind the pumpkins now. Now, in the original scene, when the 3 characters are hiding behind the pumpkins, Hermione hears something snap, like a twig snapping from someone stepping on it, and she turns around quickly to see if anyone is there. Ron says, "What?!", and she says shockingly and in an 'in disbelief' tone, "I thought I just saw.....nevermind." When you see the original scene, her reaction makes you very curious to find out who she thought she saw. But it all makes sense when you see the time turner scene of that scene. In the time turner scene, Harry, Hermione, and Buckbeak are hiding in the forest, and they're hiding behind trees. Back in time Hermione peaks out from behind the tree to look at herself in real time. She says out loud, "Is that really what my hair looks like from the back?!", and she accidently steps on a twig. She quickly hides behind the tree again as the real time Hermione turns around quickly to see who was there. The next thing that I noticed was the real time Hermione's tone is totally different when she says, "I thought I just saw.....nevermind" in this new scene. She doesn't sound as shocked, or wonderous as before, she says it pretty plainly. So it's totally different scene's altogether. These are pretty small things to notice, but I pointed it out right away. I just love how it all ties in, how she said it in such disbelief the first time, because she had really saw herself, and she couldn't believe she saw herself; such creative work! I love these movies and they will never get old for me! There's always something new to be seen and noticed, even if it's small or major, it's still something new!

1 comment:

  1. HUGE Harry Potter fan
    I'm a much bigger fan of the books than the movies. The books are incredibly well written (unlike twilight which is really poorly written) so making a movie form a well written book... well you have an advantage.
    But because the books were so long... decisions had to be make. You selected my favorite movie of the series.
    10 points

    ReplyDelete