Monday, January 30, 2012


What is Art? That is probably one of the most broad questions you could ask. According to the actual definition, art is the expression or application of human creative skill, and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture. According to Wikipedia, art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings. Honestly, I believe both of these definitions to be correct. Art is all of those things, and more. The wonderful thing about art is that it can have a different definition to every person you talk to; art isn't just based upon one thing. Art means something different to everyone, and everyone has their own opinions, and feelings, on art. Art to me means so many things! It means a way to freely express yourself. It's a way to show the type of person that you really are. Art can be expressed through the music you listen to, the stories you write, the clothes you wear, the pictures you take, how you accessorize, what you draw pictures of, what you doodle pictures of, etc. I express my definition of art with music. I love to sing, and listen to all different types of music. I've been to a handful of concerts, and I always make sure I buy a shirt from the concert, to not only have as a memory, but to express my love for the music and the band. I wear rubber bracelets everyday to express myself. Some of the bracelets are from musicians, others are things that define who I am. I have one that says "Free Hugs" because I love to give people hugs, and I love to make people happy; that's my way of expressing myself. I also love photography. There's something very beautiful about taking pictures and capturing special moments. Being able to look back on pictures you took makes you feel incredible. The picture you see above is what inspired the name for this blog. My best friend and I saw this while walking the streets of New York City, and I thought it'd be PERFECT for this blog. The quote is saying art is what I use to express who I am, art is what I am, art is my weapon. The meaning of art is expressed and explored through Aesthetics. Aesthetics is a set of principals concerned with nature and appreciation of beauty. It deals with beauty and artistic taste. Aesthetics and art truly go hand in hand with one another. Aesthetics helps bring out the beauty in things, and art defines the beauty in things. I'm excited to learn more about art, aesthetics and art through aesthetics.

Photo Credit to my best friend, Meliha :) <3


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Meliha
    LOVE the quote and the imagery.
    Music is art, but we're talking visual aesthetics... but chime in and make the connection to music whenever you want!
    10 points

    ReplyDelete